Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mike Holl's Thoughts

It is now one week after we return and my head is still spinning! There are so many things to share! I am amazed at what God can do with 7 totally different people in a place that was so foreign to all of us. God had a plan and (thankfully) we were able to set our own agendas aside and listen to what He wanted us to do for His kingdom!

The most difficult thing was the travel. The amount of time sitting was tough, especially for those of us with long legs! Most of us had trouble sleeping when needed, but that worked it self out as the days passed. The tour through Paris was a blur! I was working on about 36 hours without sleep and was so exhausted that I can’t remember most of what we saw in the quick tour. I’m not sure what I will do next time but sleep was definitely needed by the time we made it to Africa!

I really enjoyed getting to know so many different people… our team, the Mozambique teachers, the other missionaries at Bethel Center, our translators and overall the people of Mozambique. By far the most interesting thing for me was the overall concept of how beautiful the people of Mozambique can be. It puzzled me for a few days, but I finally figured out what I was seeing as beauty was not the physical features, not their smiles, nor their eyes… it was their character! Most of the Mozambique the people are living in poverty, or at least a day to day survival. They don’t have much to give, but they would give it all away if asked. They shouldn’t have much to be thankful for, but they are more thankful than we could ever be.

My wake up call came when I was teaching about pride. I was teaching a concept that didn’t make any sense to them in their culture. I asked them about a time they were proud of an accomplishment, a family member or even a talent that they have. No response. The silence was killing me… until a pastor in the group explained that everything they have, skill, family, food, shelter... everything was given to them by God even though they didn’t deserve it, so there was no need to be proud. At that point they were teaching us!

There is so much to be done in Mozambique! I’m not sure when, but I know I will be going back some day to help. It might not be as a teacher, but all I know is that God has a plan and that no matter what we think, His plan is the one that will be accomplished!


No comments:

Post a Comment